My husband and I are becoming vegetarians for the month of March. We both really like the ideas and benefits of the lifestyle but wanted to do a trial run to see if it is even possible for us. We will start March 1 and no meat for us for the month.
There are many different type of vegetarians and vegans….here are some explanations blow
Vegetarian is a blanket term used to describe a person who does not consume meat, poultry, fish, or seafood.
This grouping includes vegans and the various sub- categories of vegetarian; however, it generally implies someone who has less dietary restrictions than a vegan.
SEMI-VEGETARIAN: (this is what we are now)
The term semi-vegetarian is usually used to describe someone who is a vegetarian who consumes dairy products, eggs, chicken, and fish, but does not consume other animal flesh.
OVO-LACTO-VEGETARIAN:(this is what we are becoming for the month of March)
Ovo-lacto vegetarians are vegetarians who do not consume meat, poultry, fish, and seafood, but do consume eggs and milk. This is the largest group of vegetarians.
Ovo-vegetarian is a term used to describe someone who would be a vegan if they did not consume eggs.
Lacto-vegetarian is a term used to describe someone who would be a vegan if they did not consume milk.
Vegan is the strictest sub-category of vegetarians. Vegans do not consume any animal products or by-products. Some go as far as not even consuming honey and yeast. Others do not wear any clothing made from animal products.
We are becoming ovo-lacto-vegetarians….
I have been doing a little research trying to find some great recipes. I have found quite a few. I plan to still make some of our favorite things and just omitting the meat products.
Here are a few of my favorites so far…
Are you a vegetarian/vegan? What are your favorite meatless meals?
I thought this would be a fun way to let my new and old readers get to know me a little better! Feel free to do the same!!!
- I am left handed
- I have a younger brother, he is a senior at Clemson!
- I have ridden horses since I was in 2nd grade
- I got my first horse in 3rd grade….her name was Rosie and she was the BEST horse ever!
- My parents built their house…they started when I was in 3rd grade and we moved in when I was in 9th grade. When I say built…I mean they nailed every nail and put up every board…my brother and I though we helped too 🙂
- I do not like to shop in department stores…they are too overwhelming. Just take me to J Crew
- I have a fear of needles and my own blood, but I am trying to make myself get “over it”
- I have two springer spaniels…Tillman and Tucker
- I have been married for a little over 7 months
- My husband and I decided that we must be married for at least a year before we even start thinking about children!
- We already have names picked out for these children I mentioned above….and no I am not sharing 🙂
- I am allergic to corn but we go to a Mexican restaurant I still order the chicken fajita nachos…
- I am a civil engineer
- I would much rather work a complex math/engineering problem than write a paper or letter…I am just not that good at it!
- I have always bitten my nails but I am trying to grow them out now!
- I ran the 1 mile, the 800 relay, and high jumped in high school.
- My relay team made it to state one year!!! I think we came in like 2nd or 3rd.
- I rode on the equestrian team at Clemson….and that was one of the best decisions I made at college.
- I LOVE reality TV!!!
- We rarely eat pork or beef in our house…mostly chicken, turkey, and fish
- We are becoming vegetarians for the month of March!
- I really love being in charge!
- I wear the same jewelry everyday….my Tiffany’s necklace (that my parents got me for high school graduation), my wedding and engagement rings, my Clemson ring, Tiffany’s silver ball earrings, and my Tissot watch….If I am feeling bold I might put on a pair of pearl earrings!
- I love hot tea!!!! but with no sugar!
- I will only eat dark chocolate….I think all other chocolate is gross!
- I could eat roasted Brussels sprouts and roasted beets everyday
- I love my car….If I could I would drive it forever. I do not ever want to drive anything other than a 4 wheel drive Tahoe
- Tucker (our youngest fur child) had a total hip replacement when he was a year and a half years old….it had been a little over a year since his surgery.
- After his surgery he has developed epilepsy…and we are still trying to get it under control
- I would gladly move to Paris but I would not want my mom, dad, and brother to be that far from me….and I refuse to put my pups into the cargo section. I would have to fly a private plane if they were going!
- Rice is another thing that I could gladly eat everyday
- I am TERRIBLE with names!
- I am good with faces!
- When I sneeze it is usually pretty loud 🙂
- My best girl friend and I run half marathons so we will have an excuse to get together and catch up!
- Big hunks of meat grosses me out (like a steak or whole chicken breast)
- I fall asleep on the couch most every night
- I have run 6 half marathons and really want to run the Disney full marathon
- I want 2 or 3 children…a girl and a boy and then to adopt!
- I have just started going to a church in Florence….and I love it!
- I wear my Toms almost everyday of the week!
- My arches in my feel fell when I was younger so I now have flat feet (I think that is why I love Toms so much)
- I love to travel but do not get to do it as much as I would like
- Sometimes I wonder whether I should have joined the Peace Corp or Samaritans Purse after college for a year
- I love the NBA and high school basketball but not so much college hoops
- I cut my hair a little shorter a few months back and I already want it long again!
- I must use q-tips in my ears after I shower or my ears feel really weird for the entire day
- I rarely wear shoes inside….I even take them off if I am sitting at my desk at work
- I really would love an embroidery machine but can not justify spending the money on it! Too bad my birthday is in November and Christmas is so far away!
- I am kind of weird but I think that is what make me unique 🙂
Feel free to tell us a little about yourself!!! leave me a comment and I will head over to your blog an check out your facts!!!!
Have a fabulous friday!
It is Wednesday…one of my favorite days of the the week! mainly because of Jamie’s link up….WILW!!!
*i’m loving* that it is a short week for me this week….only one more day of work!
*i’m loving* all of my reality tv shows that I watch….Teen Mom, Biggest Loser, Survivor, American Idol, and the Amazing Race
*i’m loving* this warmer weather that we have been having in SC! I hope that it sticks around….but I know there is still one more frost of the winter 😦
*i’m loving* The wonderful season the the Wilson Tigers had this year. It sadly came to a close last night, but everyone of the boys played very hard this year…..we were SO close to the state championship 😦
*i’m loving* my two sweet pups! They are the loves of my life (besides my husband of course)….and can make me smile in an instant!
*i’m loving* my husband. He makes me so proud to be his wife!!!!!
Happy Presidents Day to all of you! I am going to do my Misc. Monday a little different today!
SO here it goes…
SO here it goes…
This weekend was amazing! We started it off at the second round basketball game that my husbands team won (by the way)! Then my friend, Nika, and I headed down to the beach for the Myrtle Beach Half Marathon.
On Saturday morning we woke up really early for the 6:30 AM race start. It was the most perfect running weather for the race on Saturday…60 degrees!!!!! This was the easiest race course I have ever run on because of the lack of elevation change, but our time was not very good. I can blame that on the nasty flu that I had the week leading up to the race 😦 At least we ran the entire time….even if it was REALLY slow at times! But we finished and I now have 6 half marathon under my belt!
|NIka and me after the race|
|Aren’t the metals so pretty 🙂|
After the run we went with one of my friends from the beach to eat at my favorite seafood place, The Sea Captain’s house. I had the crab cake sandwich and it was AMAZING especially after 13.1 miles 🙂
|The Sea Captain’s House!!!!|
Then after our amazing lunch we went out on the beach to walk the food off and to take a couple of pictures…
It felt absolutely amazing outside….about 75 degrees with a light breeze! I could have stayed out there all day!
I am also so glad that I got to see my wonderful friends this weekend!
Overall this run was amazing even though our time was not our best. But on a side note…a woman won the marathon with a record breaking time and qualified fro the olympic trial!!! She was the first person to finish the marathon….she beat all of the men! That is some girl power right there!!!
On Sunday we went to church….I think that I have found a church that I LOVE in Florence!!!! It is the Florence Campus of NewSpring. The service was amazing and you really feel like you are in a rock concert when you are singing the songs!!!! Clayton King also spoke yesterday. I have heard him speak before in high school and I knew that he was going to be amazing and he did not disappoint! I really can not wait to go back next Sunday!
I have today off of work and I am meeting a friend for breakfast and then another friend for lunch! This is going to be a fun day too!
Another random tidbit….I am so pumped about the new season of Amazing Race that started last night! I LOVE that show….I wish that Andre and I could go on it and compete!!!!
I hope you all have a wonderful day!
Week 7: Time
I thought that it would only be fitting to have my race watch in this picture since I ran in my 6th half marathon yesterday! My time was not as good as I have had before, but still pretty good for a person that has the flu the entire week prior!
Remember to go check out my Project 365….”here“
and go “here” for the weekly topics
When I arrived home yesterday I had a surprise waiting on our porch….my bread for this month!
I got a loaf of the Roadhouse bread and the San Francisco Style Sourdough!!!!
I have tried both of them and LOVE them both!
I made a sandwich for lunch today using the sourdough….nothing is better than a tomato and mozzarella sandwich on some really great bread!
I even sat outside on our deck and ate it! It is almost 80 degrees here today! The weather could not be any better for the race this weekend!
After lunch I played with the pups in the backyard. I can not wait for the grass to start coming in. The gray/brown dead grass is not pretty at all and it gets hung in Tuckers ears and then it makes its way into the house 😦 You can see a couple of pieces in his ears in the next picture…
I can not wait for spring so all of the pretty flowers will bloom and the grass will grow!
I will probably be MIA tomorrow since the half marathon is tomorrow morning. I hope that everyone has a fun and exciting weekend!
*i’m loving* that my husband’s team won their 1st round playoff game last night. Now it is on to the second round on Friday!
*i’m loving* that my doggies are back home with us. We REALLY missed them last week, but I know they were having a blast at “camp” (my parent’s house) There is just nothing like walking in after a long day at work and being greeted by two overly excited and oh so cute springer spaniels!!
*i’m loving* that American Idol comes on tonight! I have always really liked Hollywood week!
*i’m loving* that my half marathon is coming up this Saturday, but with me getting over the flu I have not been able to train like I was supposed to….I hope that it all goes well 🙂
*i’m loving* that I actually got an entire night of sleep last night with out ANY coughing!!!!!
*i’m loving* that I will get to see 2 of my really good friends this weekend!!!!
*i’m loving* all of my new readers and the lovely comments. I know I have been slacking in the comment category lately but I have been reading all of your blogs on google reader and I can not actually open your blog up to comment during the day. I really wish that google reader would put a feature on it were you can comment….sorry ladies. I hope to get back into the swing of things once everything settles back down after basketball season!
and of course *i’m loving* my always hard working husband!
Make sure you link up with Jamie and tell us what you are loving!
This was our first Valentine’s Day as a married couple and it went wonderfully. I LOVE doing fondue at home so we decided thats what we would do for Valentines. We had a cheese course and a chocolate course. Those two are our favorites and I do not have to deal with either hot oil or broth….neither of us are big meat fans either so there is no use for that course.
So here is the set-up:
nothing too fancy…but we had a great time chatting and watching Jeopardy with the robot 🙂
***did you all watch that last night!?!?
cheese course-beer cheddar fondue
with radishes, carrots, apples, pretzels, broccoli, celery, and Hawaiian bread (have you tried Hawaiian bread…it is simply the BEST)
chocolate course: Amaretto dark chocolate
with apples, pineapple, strawberries, bananas, pretzels, and marshmallows
Both courses were really good and I think we both ate too much…but that usually happens when we eat fondue 🙂
I put a cheesy banner/sign on the window for Andre’ to find as well 🙂
We decided this year that we would not do anything really big for each other for V-tines day. I made this jar of notes for Andre. It has things to do (like “Lets go get ice cream tonight!”) and little love notes in it. I put 42 notes in there…2 per week until we go to Rome to celebrate our 1 year anniversary. I thought that it would be a great way to pass the time until then and give us some fun things to do along the way. I also gave him a few different chocolate bars….like an italian dark chocolate bar, dark chocolate with sea salt…that sort of thing.
And Andre got me the most wonderful gifts of all…he wrote me a letter (that was better than any card that he could have ever bought), made me a cute card, go me some sweet tarts, and signed me up for the Bread of the Month Club at Zingerman’s Bakery! I can not wait to see what I get for the first month….
This was the best Valentine’s Day ever….I got to spend the evening with my husband! What more could a girl as for!
****Basketball recap- Andre’s team finished 21-3 in the regular season and are hosting the first round playoff game against Airport tonight….A pretty great year so far****